Sunday 3 August 2008

Anseong Observatory
















Jacob and his son Hyekang (which means flowing river) picked me up around 5:30 and we drove out to Anseong Observatory...it was quite a nice drive and it was cool because I have not yet been out that way. There are a lot of really pretty fields filled with all different kinds of fruit trees, and that area is also filled with an abundance of grapes. We got there and it was quite cloudy so we were a little worried about the rain. I didn't really have any idea what to expect as I have never been to an observatory before. The guy in charge spoke for quite a while (Koreans love speaking through microphones with blaring speakers...at the grocery store there is a guy who talks nonstop the whole time I am shopping...so I have learned just to listen to my MP3 since I can't understand him anyway. Also when you walk down the street a lot of people out front of their store are speaking with a microphone and have the volume turned WAY up!) and talking about what all we would be doing that night. Jacob translated for me and said that basically we would be seeing some different telescopes they use, learning about different planets and our solar system, and then building a little telescope, and then if the weather held up doing some star and planet gazing.
There were quite a few kids there, and it seemed like a good array of events for kids and adults. We had a chance to see the telescopes they use and then just after we saw them it started to rain! :( The guy said we would wait and see if the rain stopped, since looking through the telescopes was the last event of the night anyway. He had a really cool 3D computer program called Starry Night and it highlighted all the different planets and was quite amazing actually. I learned quite a bit last night. I never knew that all the craters on Mercury were named after famous musicians and poets...I guess one of the craters is named after a Korean poet, but I forget his name. The computer program was very detailed and really interesting. I think I might have discovered a new hobby! I looked online and the basic program was only about $50, for anyone interested here is a link to the website: http://www.starrynightstore.com/stniso.html After we had learned a lot about all the different planets (Jacob translated as well as he could...I am sure that was pretty tough...fortunately the software program was in English so I could follow pretty well just with that) we built our own little telescope...it was fun doing something interactive and I think his son really enjoyed it. After we finished that it was getting late and they checked one more time on the weather. It was still raining and quite heavily by that time, so they issued us passes to come back another time and see Jupiter and some other planets and stars. I am not sure what all we get to see, but I think it will be fun. Jacob said he definitely wants to go back out and I told him I would love to go back too. He bought me a little button that has my Astrological sign and the name of the observatory. Sorry the picture is a little blurry...it was hard because with the flash off it is a little blurry, and with the flash on it shines off the button and you can't read it. Well...I can't believe how fast my summer break flew by! I have to teach two new classes for the next few weeks since the middle school is on summer break until around the end of August. I will be teaching beginners, so I guess I better brush up on my A,B,Cs!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I liked learning that the craters on Mercury were named after famous musicians and poets. I'd have never known that!