Tuesday 28 April 2009

Doosan Bears!






















This past weekend I went to my second Bears game of the season...and so far I guess I'm a good luck charm! They have gone 2-0 in the two games I've been to this season. Last year I went to watch them when I first got here and they lost in the 10th inning...so they are 2-1 in the three games I've been to.
I LOVE Korean baseball...not to knock MLB, but I think I'd go to a Korean game anyday! The crowd is loud and they cheer literally from before the first pitch. I think one cool thing here is that as small as Korea is there are usually fans for both of the teams...so even though Doosan had a home game, maybe like 40% of the crowd was cheering for the other team...so the atmosphere is really cool.
I've been a fan of Doosan ever since Hines Ward visited Korea after winning the MVP award in the Super Bowl. He went to a game and threw out the first pitch, so I just sort of adopted Doosan. I felt a little like a traitor cheering for Doosan since they were playing the Hanwha Eagles. The Eagles are from the province I live in (Chungcheongnam Province) but oh well! HA!
The game was really exciting, Hanwha got off to a quick start scoring 2 runs in the top of the first, but then Doosan struck back and matched them. Doosan added another run in the 2nd inning and led 3-2 until the 7th inning when they hit a 3 run HR and pretty much sealed the game. They went on to win 6-2, and so I was of course very happy.
The weather was really cold...I was surprised because it's been so warm here the last few weeks, but I braved the wind and a little rain. Ramen Noodles are popular here, and so I got some of those to keep me warm.
Hopefully I'll have a chance to go to quite a few more Bears games. One nice thing I've said over and over is that stuff here is priced right, Koreans don't feel the need to rip you off just because you're at a sporting event. Tickets were 5,000 Won (about $4) and then a big bag of chips was 2500 Won. Ramen was 2000 Won. I love the fact that I can do so much here for so cheap!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Go Bears! I love the picture of you eating Ramen with chopsticks! That made me smile for sure!!! Speaking of football, Fui Vakapuna's going to the Bengals....woo-hoo!

Greta said...

We picked up the Terminators schedule for this year! Can you tell Tom not to be a MLB fan? He thinks he wants to pick it up for some reason. I can handle football and basketball, but come on! TV baseball and golf are the WORST!

Tom said...

Ben, you gotta get me a Doosan Bears jersey! Love em!

Darrell said...

I'm pretty sure that are going to start serving Ramen noodles here at MLB games too.