Monday 11 May 2009

Doosan Bears again...





































Well, last Tuesday (May 5th) is Children's Day in Korea, and so I had the day off not only at the middle school, but also at Kids College. I was so happy to have a full day off, and as I said in my last post, I was planning to go to another Doosan Bears game, it was a day game and I was exciting to go back to Jamsil Stadium and watch the Bears. So, I got up around 9AM, hit the subway station and rode on up to Samsung Station which is close by the stadium. There is a Buddhist temple there (Bongeun Sa) which I stopped at last summer. It's a really cool temple and with Buhha's birthday just passing, I had heard that the temples were decorated really cool with many colorful lanterns. So, my plan was to go by Bongeun Sa, snap a few pictures and then head over to the stadium and settle in for some afternoon baseball. Well, after getting my pictures I walked on towards the stadium (it's maybe a 15 minute walk) and as I was getting close to the stadium I saw a whole bunch of people wearing Bears stuff walking AWAY from the stadium and past me back to the city. I thought, "Hmmm, that's strange" and keep walking. Well, as I crossed the river I could see into the stadium and the place was PACKED and it was like 1:30 (2 PM start) So, I keep going, and got up to the ticket window. There were 1000s of people all over but not many in the line to buy tickets, so I thought "This is great, I can get tickets in no time!" So I walked up to the window and the lady said "Sorry, Sold Out!" Ugh! I was bummed out and felt like an idiot. I didn't realize they were playing LG Twins, who is a huge rival, and they both share the stadium...plus with it being a holiday, and baseball being very popular in Korea...NO DICE! So, that sort of took the wind out of my sails, the air out of my balloon, (insert your favorite let down cliche here) I hadn't really planned much else, so I went by COEX, a huge mall, and then just came back to Cheonan. I was pretty bummed about missing the game, but it was on TV and Doosan lost 0-12, so actually I didn't miss much.
So...I had to have a rebound game and so I went back again on Saturday, this time with more success, not only for me, but also for Doosan as they won 4-3 and are now 3-0 in the games I attend this season! :) HA!
It was a great night for baseball Saturday...the weather was nice in the evening, a little breeze and it just felt great!
PS: If you're curious why my t-shirt says "OB Bears" and not Doosan, well...OB was the previous name, so this is sort of an old school t-shirt, and I got it for 10,000 Won! ($8) So, maybe you didn't notice, but I know Becca will notice! HA!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

LMBO!!! I totally did notice, and was hoping you'd give an explanation! Those lanterns are really cool, I can't believe how many of them there are. I'm glad you had some time off to play ;)

blh said...

Love the pictures! Sorry you missed the first game but glad you got to go to the next one, probably much more exciting anyway!