Sunday 4 July 2010

The Land of the Free...The Home of the Brave!















I'd like to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July! Oddly this is one of the few holidays I've noticed that I get homesick, maybe it's just the patriotic side of me, but every year (this is the 3rd) I'm away from the States on the 4th I feel a little sad. I'm thankful for the role the United States of America has played over the years and the freedoms that those before us have helped to defend.
I think back to some of the most difficult and trying times in our nation's history and I'm almost brought to tears when I think of the sacrifice that has been made for each of us, to be able to enjoy our daily lives. I was reading the other day about George Washington and the Battle of Trenton when the words written by Thomas Paine were read to raise the morale of the troops:
These are the times that try men's souls; the summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
I love reading and learning about history but as much as I appreciate our early soldiers, I never could seem to relate to them as well as those who have fought in the more recent past.
I've tried to read and understand as much as possible about World War II, for some reason I am fascinated by it, not in a weird sense that I think it's "cool" but more so that I am in awe that people who lived during that time were able to accomplish the things they did. It's impossible for me to truly ever comprehend what those men and women did to preserve our freedoms. One of my favorite World War II quotes came from Major Dick Winters. Major Winters seems to be everything that was good about those soldiers and although Winters has received many special accolades over the course of his life, he has always remained a very humble guy. At the end segment of Band of Brothers he quoted a passage from a letter he had received from Sergeant Mike Ranney: "I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No… but I served in a company of heroes…'"

This is one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs and very fitting for the 4th!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your comments! This truly is a special day and I too am grateful for all those that sacrificed so much for us to enjoy our wonderful freedoms! I remember the song that was sung at the end of the movie we saw about the Alamo when we were in San Antonio entitled "Freedom Is not Free". ( Is there more than one song out with that title?) Wish you were here with us!
Love you lots. Mom

Rebecca said...

Hey Ben! I love the pictures, and your post. I love the 4th of July too. It's one of my favorite holidays! That was probably the coolest thing about growing up in that little town we did, was the feeling in the air on the 4th of July. For me anyway.

Greta said...

Happy 4th. Sorry you weren't here to enjoy it with us. I love the feeling of harmony that everyone has. Feeling like we are all proud for the same reason.

Deborah said...

Yep, the Langston blood runs true!! I'm thankful for all of my extended family and the love we share for our country. My mom reminded me yesterday that Gram Langston used to give thanks in almost every prayer for our beautiful flag and the freedoms we enjoy. She was a great example and taught her children and grandchildren well!

Darrell said...

I couldn't agree more Ben. Hope you'll start making 10-20 million a year with your school, and then you can come back for the 4th. Just remember all us little people when you're a billionaire, ok?

Tanya said...

My sentiments exactly!! I too love this country and those who have sacrificed and still sacrifice for it. We are a blessed nation.