Tuesday 24 August 2010

My friend Maggie





I received some really sad news the other day, one of the sweetest creatures ever to walk the earth, passed away last Thursday. Heidi e-mailed me and told me that Maggie had some health problems early in the morning and after she rushed her to the vet Maggie started hemorrhaging and her blood wouldn't clot. Heidi and the vet did all she could for Maggie but in the end she didn't make it.
I still remember the first time I laid eyes on Maggie, frankly she scared the heck out of me. She had the most beautiful ice blue eyes but she looked like this big monstrous white wolf! I didn't want to go near her but Heidi assured me that Maggie wouldn't hurt a flea, but I was still more than cautious. She was right though, all Maggie wanted to do was play, play, play. She was so full of energy. She loved being off the leash, just running wild and free. I will never forget one VERY COLD wintry night it had been snowing a lot. We decided to let Maggie out in the yard to just run (she loved the snow). Soon the time got late and we called Maggie to come in...she came close to the door, but every time we tried to actually grab her she would run just far enough away we couldn't get her. It got later and later and colder and colder. Heidi came up with a great idea, she fried up some bacon and we tore it into a bunch of little pieces. We laid the pieces out in a trail up to the door, hoping to trick her into the house. I hid behind the CRV and Heidi waited at the door. Well, Maggie cautiously ate the first piece of bacon, all the while looking around like "this is too good to be true, bacon out here in the snow!" HA! She slowly ate each piece looking around each time before eating it, she got closer and closer and started up the steps and on to the porch. As she was right by the door I ran at her, Heidi opened the door and we somehow managed to get her inside! She was so funny, she had snow all over her, and she just walked right over by the bed and laid down!
Maggie never had any puppies, but she was still the best Mom. We got Chaco when she was just a tiny puppy and hoped her and Maggie would be friends. From the first day we brought Chaco home Maggie loved her and took care of her. Chaco would just lay there and Maggie would lick her ears and face and clean them all up. She was so good to Chaco and I am sure Chaco is really missing her.
I think more than anything Maggie loved the outdoors, where she could run free and be herself. There was a really cool area up near Boone that was called Hebron...a place where Maggie was in her environment. She could jump into the water, swim around, jump from rock to rock and just go crazy. Heidi had Maggie cremated and planned to spread her ashes around Hebron, I think a very fitting resting place for me friend.
I loved Maggie so much, it's sad that she's gone, but I'll never forget her. There will never be another dog like her.
I found a really sweet poem that says exactly how I felt about her.


She is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;
my other ears that hear above the winds.
She is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.

She has told me a thousand times over that I am her reason
for being by the way she rests against my leg;
by the way she thumps her tail at my smallest smile;
by the way she shows her hurt when I leave without taking her.
(I think it makes her sick with worry when she is not
along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, she is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, she clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, she is joy unbounded.

When I am a fool, she ignores it.
When I succeed, she brags.

Without her, I am only another man. With her, I am all-powerful.

She is loyalty itself. She has taught me the meaning of devotion.

With her, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
She has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

Her head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
Her presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and
unknown things.

She has promised to wait for me...whenever...wherever--
in case I need her.
And I expect I will--as I always have.


I love you Maggie!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, Ben, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news :( The pictures you have of her really are beautiful!!!

Greta said...

So sorry to hear about Maggie. she really was a beautiful girl.

blh said...

She was a beautiful dog. Your story about her enjoying the outdoors reminded me of "The Call of the Wild". Was She part wolf?

Heidi said...

Thank you for such a sweet and thoughtful memorial to Maggie. The memories and laughs that you shared about her made me tear up, but also made me smile.
She was a free spirit. She was always half ours, but half of her always belonged in a stream, on a rock or running through the snow.
Thank you again for your kind words, and for sharing Maggie's story.