Monday 15 December 2008

Random thoughts...

I can't believe it's only 10 days until Christmas...this year has flown by and I think back to the times when I was a kid and older people would tell me that each year goes by faster...well I think I have to agree with that. Hard to believe that just a year ago I was sitting in the Dallas-Ft. Worth airport all day Christmas since there was a massive snowstorm in Denver (which delayed all of the flights into Dallas-Ft. Worth). I'd had a great 24th with my family in Prescott, AZ and was heading back to Charlotte...what a boring and horrible day that was. Well, this year I'll also be in the airport most of Christmas, but probably a little more excited...I'm so excited to be going to Auckland for Christmas this season. I have wanted to go there since I was just a little kid, and so this is sort of like a dream come true...I'll try to take plenty of pictures and add them here for everyone to see.
The weather here has been weird...it's really really cold for like 4 days and then it gets nice and is pretty warm for about 3 days and then continues the cycle over again. It's not bad except for the nights I'm riding my bicycle back from the hakwon (Kids College) at 8 PM...then I do miss my Maxima and heat! Other than that...I've had a pretty good relationship with my bike. My tires had about gone flat the last few weeks, and I finally got some air in the tires, which has made riding back and forth to school ridiculously easier...amazing what some air in a tire can do. I had meant to get them pumped up, but the tire stems here are totally different and I couldn't figure out really what to do...so I just kept riding as they got lower and lower. I finally went to the bike shop where I bought the bike and got it aired up and the lady checked out my tube for any leaks...the cost was a whopping 3,000 Won, (about $2.25)...so I've been riding around on nearly flat tires the last two months to save $2, pretty smart! HA!
So I finally tried oysters the other night...not the best thing I've ever had. They were on top of some kimchi when I went out to eat the other night and I thought "well, I've never had oysters, so why not try them?!" It tasted kind of like how it smells when you go near a lake after people have been fishing and gutted the fish and left a few hours prior...at least that was my take on it. Almost all of the Korean food I've had here though has been awesome and I really love it all.
So as much as I love Korea there are a few funny things I've noticed here:
People love to honk their horns. I don't really know why or what causes it, but I can be riding my bike crossing the street 50 yards in front of a car, and I can guarantee that the car will honk their horn at me. At first it really would tick me off...now I just kind of laugh and think it's ridiculous.
Koreans love "fake brands." When I first got here I was baffled at how many women had Louis Viton hand bags...they were everywhere! I knew that they were expensive and so I couldn't really understand why I saw so many of them. Well...in the Seoul subway you can buy anything, and I mean anything...well, I finally figured out why there were so many "Louis Viton" bags, they were fake! They're like 10,000 Won ($7.50) for a purse, and so it all made sense then. I bought some really nice "handmade silk (wink, wink)" ties, 2 for 5,000 Won! HA!
Koreans love microphones and blaring their voice to everyone. It's nothing to hear the the apple or tangerine truck rolling by at 8AM on Saturday with a recording just blaring over and over, giving the prices for the fruit. I go to the local grocery store and there is a dude who just walks around with a headset on, talking non-stop about all of the different sales and pricing...I think a nice sale flyer will suffice! HA
Anyway...as most of you know I love Korea, and those are only a few funny things I can really find here. Most of the people here are very kind and appreciate foreigners who try to struggle with some seriously broken (maybe busted is a better word) Korean. I have had a lot of fun learning Korean, but I'm always so hesitant to actually speak anything since I think my pronunciation is so awful...but every once and a while I'll try to break out some new Korean I've learned from my book!
So...anyway, I just had a few minutes tonight and wanted to just say some random stuff...I don't even know if any of it made sense, and althought I usually give in to my OCD and read, then re-read, then re-re-read my post, tonight I'm just going to post it and forget if there are any grammatical errors, or things that just don't make sense!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love your description of oysters. haha so funny! I knew the food couldn't be all good ;)! Glad you got your bike tires pumped up, too. That's so funny it cost $2.00 to get it fixed, and you'd been putting it off for so long. Have a great week!!!

Darrell said...

Sounds like you're having an adventure. Thanks for update the blog and letting us all share in it.
Make sure to write all this stuff down somewhere in a journal; someday your wife and kids will love it!

Greta said...

I think all seafood smells like your description of oysters. I love reading your blogs. We think about you a lot and miss you a ton, especially at Christmas. If we don't hear from you before Christmas, have a WONDERFUL trip!!

Deborah said...

Hi Ben! I was so excited when I saw you'd posted new messages; I love reading about what's going on in your life! I hope you take lotsa pics on your trip to new Zealand (and post them, ha ha) 'cause I would love to see them. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Ben,

I always read your blogs but never comment because you know me. I would rather complain about my phone bill hten type a message.

The kids and Julie say Hi and Megan and Derek want you to come to their Christmas house