Monday 26 January 2009

Happy (Lunar) New Year





So today is 설날 Seollal, or Lunar New Year and so I don't have to teach today or tomorrow! My friend Sam (from Kansas) and I had planned to go to a cave on Saturday, but this area was pretty much crippled by snow for the last few days. I was a little surprised at the amount of snow that we received since usually this area isn't know for getting much snow. There was probably about 6 inches that fell on Saturday. Sam was actually coming to my apartment to pick me up Saturday and he got stuck going up the hill close to my house, so we decided to go to the cave another day.
I don't have many plans for
설날, I think I'll pretty much just relax. It is considered the biggest holiday of the year for most Koreans, so typically people spend time with their families and so everything is closed down and people are at home. Koreans usually eat 떡국 Tteok Guk on New Year's Day and it is supposed to bring good luck for the year. It is a really delicious rice cake soup...people eat it on other occasions too, so I have had it before and it's good!
So Happy Lunar New Year everyone!
I took most of the pictures over at the middle school that I teach at. The other is some kimchi pots here close to my apartment.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Rice cake soup. Yeah, sounds yummy! haha just teasing you. Sorry you didn't get to go to the cave. You'll have to post some pics when you do! Happy Lunar New Year!

Greta said...

Happy New Year. Maybe I will make potstickers in honor of you for dinner tonight.....hummm. Did you see my blog with the DUSTING of snow that closed Charlotte down???

Deborah said...

So Ben, have you tried kimchi yet? Liz & Becca had a roommate in college who was Korean... She made kimchi and it sure didn't smell too good!!

Ben said...

Deb,
Yes...I eat kimchi almost daily, it's really good. Koreans pretty much eat rice and kimchi with every meal. There are a lot of different types and I like all of them!
:)