Saturday 23 January 2010

Hyundai Sungwoo skiing


Last Saturday I went with some friends to Hyundai Sungwoo Ski Resort, my first skiing experience in Korea. We left SUPER early from Cheonan at around 6AM, which of course for a Saturday was awful! HA! The drive there was nice and as the sun came up in the morning it was a beautiful morning. It was about a 2 hour drive, I think there are a few closer slopes to here, but we met another friend who lives around Seoul and so I think that was kind of a meet in the middle kind of thing. My friend BK planned the trip out, he picked Sungwoo because he said that was where he had learned to snowboard, and so that was his favorite place. We stopped at the rental shop, and I'll tell you, rentals in Korea are 10 times nicer than anywhere I've been in the States. I remember the old days at Powderhorn standing in line with 1,000 other people getting their poles, skis and boots. Well, around Sungwoo there were literally 100s of rental shops, and the price wasn't bad too. They also had coats, gloves, etc. that you could rent. Fortunately I had everything I needed excepts skis, so that's all I rented. I think most young Koreans think skiing is old fashioned (probably American kids do too) but I CAN NOT snowboard...so I decided to just accept my role as the old man of the group and ski. BK found a good deal on tix, buy one get one free, so the lift ticket wasn't bad, around 30,000 Won or about $27. I envisioned 1000s of people everywhere on the slopes, but truthfully it was pretty similar to the States as far as total people there. The ski are was pretty easy really I thought, but still a lot of fun. It was well maintained and they had a nice gondola lift. We had a good day skiing, I was happy I still remembered how since it had been 5 years since I'd strapped on a pair of skis. After skiing we went to a nice restaurant and had a good dinner, then went to a condo that we rented. We stayed up late talking and playing cards. We left even earlier the next morning, at 5! HAHAHA! So, both days on my weekend I was up before 6AM, way too early for a weekend.
Anyway, I had a great time, and will certainly remember my first ski trip in Korea. I had meant to take a bunch of cool pics, but once I got there I didn't feel like lugging my camera around on the mountain. BK took some pics on his phone, but they didn't turn out he said...he also got a few on his regular camera, but they were just in the parking lot. Oh well, I'm sure most of you can imagine what the ski area looked like...some snow, some trees, some people. There, I painted a perfect picture for you! HA! At least here's one pic for you.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love the description...some snow, some trees, some people! LOL!

And I don't know if I can believe that you can't snow board.

Anonymous said...

Well if it makes you feel better I have been un UT almost a year and haven't been skiing once. I was think it would be fun to take Derek, I just don't know if he woudl like it all day.