Sunday 24 January 2010

Taebaek Snow Festival














Yesterday I had a chance to go to the Taebaek Snow Festival...it was lots of fun, but COLD COLD COLD! The wind was blowing, and there's one thing about Korea...when the wind blows here it's really really really cold. Did I say it's cold? HA! I think the wind from Mongolia or something must come down here sometimes, just to bother us. Anyway, Taebaek is about 3 hours from Cheonan, I had a nice ride up there...the sun was out and so I thought it might be a nice winter day (like last week skiing) but I was wrong! As soon as we got out of the car, the wind hit me in the face and I immediately felt like an Otter Pop.
I imagined there would be quite a few people there, but I had no idea that it would be basically the same as walking around Seoul. Taebaek is a small little country area, and although this is the 17th year they've had the festival, I had no idea it would be this popular and crowded. When we arrived in the parking lot (the bottom parking lot, all the others were full I suppose) there was a nice shuttle bus to take us to the festival. There were quite a few cool snow and ice sculptures all over the park...and also a little sledding hill. The people were just sledding on a plastic sheet (sort of like I did last weekend) and it looked fun, but the thought of getting snow in my pants or shoes yesterday was just not appealing. So, rather than participate I just watched. It looked like all the people sledding had a cool time. There was also a huge igloo with ice tables and chairs that sold coffee...it was MUCH warmer inside the igloo than outside.
We walked around for maybe 4 hours, and at that point I couldn't feel really any of my body, so we decided to go eat an early dinner (samgyeopsal Mmmm Mmmm) and head back to Cheonan. It would have been fun to stay a little later since there were fireworks at 9PM, but it just wasn't worth it...I can watch fireworks on the internet! HA!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Some sweet pics, Ben! I love "watching fireworks on the internet!" LOL! I think I would not have made it walking around for 4 hours. I'd have stayed in the warm igloo ;)

Greta said...

What amazing sculptures. I cant handle 40 degrees very well. I am sure I would not handle that wind!

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm Emma Jang from WorknPlay in Seoul, Korea. I read about your interesting Taebaek Snow Festival experience in Korea on your personal blog. Would you consider also sharing about this festival on WorknPlay's website? You could use this opportunity to publicize your blog, by include a link to your website. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail eunjung@worknplay.co.kr .

Tanya said...

Hey Ben, I have to tell you that I just love the first song on your playlist. I have no idea what is being said, but I sure like it. Hope all is going well for ya! (More posts, please! :))

Rebecca said...

I get it now....I thought the flags were going to be some sort of medal count for the Olympics. But, I'm guessing they are the countries you've been to!

Greta said...

Hey friend! So I am sitting at work by myself today and it is creepily quiet here so I have been blasting the music from you blog. Thanks for letting it keep me company today! G